Recently our Founder and CEO Pradip Bhandari was present as a panelist on the show Reality Check which is a regular show on NDTV. The host of the show is Sreenivasan Jain where he discusses recent issues related to Public, Law and Society.
This time the agenda for the discussion was, “A political war has broken out whether apps used by political parties, promoted as an interface between citizens and leaders or parties, are a proxy to capture data, possibly without your knowledge. Data that may be used by agencies like Cambridge Analytica to manipulate voters. Both parties have been drawn into the line of fire on this, the Narendra Modi app, and the Congress’ membership app. As a war or words breaks out between the two parties, on Reality Check tonight, we discuss just how this compromises your data.”
Along with Jan Ki Baat’s Founder and CEO, Pradip Bhandari, the panelists for the show were.
1- Vivek Reddy – From BJP, a Lawyer too
2- Prateek Sinha – Founder, ‘Alt News’.
3- Mohammad Khan – Spokesperson, Congress
4- Ankush Jouhar – Cyber Security Expert
Statements and Core arguments put forth by Pradip Bhandari:-
- I have been using the NaMo app from past 1 year. When someone tries to log into the app, it asks the user if the app could get access to photos, media files on the device. Now, if a user denies the permission, still the app could be accessed by the user and one can log into the app. This is an informed consent, it is not mandatory to share personal details on the App.
- 53% of the websites in this world use the services of Google Analytics, 90%+ websites use their own analytics.
- Analytics doesn’t mean that you share the details of your website with a third party, it is all about knowing about the traffic that you get on your website and analyzing it.
- All the data is owned by NaMo App, and it is not being shared with any third party.
- Each and every website anaylze their data and it doesn’t raise any security concerns.
- Congress’ App uses HTTP platform and through which it processes the data, here any middlemen can capture and hijack the data and this raises security concerns for the users who use Congress’ App, ‘With INC’.
- NaMo App is the App of the Prime Minister of India, not of a leader of BJP. There is no single communcation which has been made through NaMo App which is related to BJP.
- NaMo App allows a person to use it as a guest. It is not a political App, it is an App of the Prime Minister of the country.
- Congress’ App says that it may share the data with like minded people, and this is a privacy concern.
For full video watch-